Making a Long Distance Relationship Work
Deep down we all know long-distance doesn’t cut it, right?
I can tell you countless love stories of friends that have made long distance relationships work. It takes much more commitment, trust and patience but it can work. When it does, it is a strong and lasting relationship for all your efforts.
You and your partner may have gone to separate locations for school or work, or you may be a couple that met online and you’re waiting for that right moment to be together longer term. Whatever your situation you can make it work!
First off. You gotta know what your up against.
Working Against The Odds.
Main Drawbacks of Long-Distance Relationships and How to Overcome Them
You Gotta Trust
Rule number one, and this goes for any relationship, is never question their faithfulness.
Nothing is more frustrating than having someone not trust you and you are so far away there is no way to prove you only have eyes for them. You have to just keep your worries to yourself in this situation, because it will not only add stress but it will make you look insecure. That is not an attractive quality.
Seriously, if you can’t trust them when you are apart, then you may have to reevaluate the relationship all together.
Lack of physical interaction is another factor that ends long distance relationships. If both people can go without having physical contact with each other for a length of time, you should be okay. Otherwise texts, emails and phone or video chat may help with that aspect.
You may find the two of you have to be a little more daring and make use of the gift of telecommunications in a creative way (sexy chat, anyone?).
Still, it’s important that you do get to see each other at least every now and then. Absence makes the heart grow fonder…to a point maybe. If neither one of you has the financial means to see one another at least a few times a year, it may be even more difficult to make the long-distance relationship work.
Tips for Making Long Distance Relationships Work
Now, if you’ve both decided “Yeah, we can handle all that” then it’s time to move on to the good stuff!
Here are some absolutely essential steps to making long-distance work, and having a relationship anyone would be envious of:
- Skype! Skype or a video chat service like it is a must. You can see, hear and enjoy each other every night! Having that interaction is crucial after a long day of work.
- Set a date. That is… for when you plan to ultimately be together. Otherwise it may feel like it’ll never happen.
- Ignore anyone who says it’ll never last. You have to stay positive or you may begin to believe it.
- Send gifts. It will make them feel extra special and they will have a token of your love for when they feel like they may “lose it.”
- Always be planning the next visit. It’s good to alternate who travels so that one of you won’t be worn out on all the travel. This also gives you both something to look forward to!
Remember to have fun always even if the situation is not the ideal. Nobody likes to be with someone who complains all the time. If your present situation means that you have to be apart for a while, well, it is what it is. You have to make the most of it. Be creative, find ways to participate in each other’s lives even though your not physically there and keep the romance alive as if you were.